Meet Us: At King Arthur Baking Company (KABC), we believe in the power of baking to make a difference — for people and the planet. We're not going anywhere - we've been part of the family since 1790. We work to build stronger communities and increase access and the connection to real foods. We take pride in our responsible sourcing and our "never bleached" guarantee. And we work closely with farmers, millers, and suppliers in a continued commitment toward sustainability. Our wheat flour is grown and milled right here in the United States. Flour this good uses only the purest ingredients, free from GMOs. As a founding B Corp, we are committed to using the power of business as a force for social and environmental good. We believe every employee's contributions make our company what it is: vibrant, successful, and committed to spreading the joy of baking. We are a welcoming and inclusive 100% employee-owned company.
The Position: The QA Technician I ensures compliance of all quality standards. Works directly with Quality Team and Manufacturing to conduct QA monitoring inspection activities and to enforce requirements as specified by raw materials, ingredients, products, and package specifications, and regulatory agencies. The QA Technician I assists in performing food safety and quality reviews of production processes for completeness and accuracy during start-up batch verification and final release of finish goods. Works with Quality System Manager and QA Technician Level 2 to review and address internal SQF, external audits, and process validations. Responsible for reporting nonconformance concerns and recommend corrective action for the procedural product or process deficiencies to Quality System Manager. This is an entry-level, individual contributor role.
This is a Monday - Friday position and the hours are either 1:00 - 9:00 p.m. OR 12:00 - 8:00 p.m. - it's your choice! This is a perfect shift for those that need mornings off and still want to get home in the late evening. Plus, the position qualifies for a $1.00 shift differential.
Due to the hands-on nature of the position, it is a local onsite position - no remote work or relocation assistance available.
The Benefits: Yes, we have the regular "stuff" - medical, dental, vision, company paid short- and long-term disability, life insurance, earned time to rest, paid holidays to have fun, a 401(K) with a company match. But here's what makes us different: 40 paid volunteer hours a year, profit sharing*, participation in the Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)* and knowing that those working with you are dedicated and engaged co-employee owners that believe in you and your extraordinary abilities to move us all forward. How do you put a value on that?
Here's The Technical Stuff:
Essential duties and responsibilities
• Support the achievement of plant operations food safety and quality goals.
o Work directly with production staff during manufacturing processes and monitor compliance with our Food Safety Plan and regulatory standards.
• Responsible for daily verification of COA’s of ingredient and products received conforming to established specifications.
o Compare COA results to King Arthur Baking specifications.
o Attach approved COA for receivers.
o Notify Quality System Manager or QA Tech Level 2 of nonconforming product.
• Assist in inspection and testing programs;
o preparing samples to be sent,
o documenting samples,
o assist in routine verification testing activities in production processes,
o packing and shipping samples for testing.
• Conduct and document routine monitoring of internal pest prevention program.
o Conduct Pest Self Inspections as scheduled
o Enter and follow up on open conditions as necessary.
• Assist in the monitoring and inspections, testing, and evaluation of prerequisite programs.
o Maintain accurate filing of production documents, logs and trace documents.
o GMP/KPI awareness
o Glass/Brittles awareness
• Conduct assigned monitor programs in SF360 to evaluate precision and accuracy of production equipment and testing, measurement, and analyze equipment and facility including:
o Calibration Verifications
o Metal Detection Verifications
• Assist in HACCP and Preventive Controls food safety systems validating testing and assurance compliance.
• Become proficient in software implemented for Food Safety/Quality and manufacturing.
o Microsoft AX
• Participate on projects for continuous improvements.
• Become familiar with all certifications and maintain compliance for required regulations & certifications:
o Comply with all company, Local, State and Federal food safety, VOSHA, EPA, FDA, HACCP and SQF regulations.
• Assist in monitoring and maintaining the Kosher program; schedules A & B.
• Become trained and assist in label and finish packaging verifications upon receipt as needed.
• Participates in the yearly review of the food safety system.
• Assist in the maintenance of the Food Safety and Quality System Manual.
• Suggest and implement changes in working conditions and use of equipment to increase food safety and efficiency of operation departments.
• Interface with other departments and trainers to develop and implement food safety programs as required.
Minimum job requirements
• HACCP Certification
• Knowledge of applicable regulatory standards and codes for food safety and quality
• Broad knowledge and experience of blending/repackaging processes & equipment
• Exhibit through words & actions appropriate team culture, leadership, and commitment to KAF mission and goals
• Ability to collaborate and negotiate win – wins with peers.
• Able to recognize areas of opportunity & concern provide solutions.
• Effectively meet service, quality, and efficiency benchmarks and expectations.
• Proven communication skills
• A proven track record of attention to details
• Proficient in use of computer programs and Microsoft Office necessary for document control
• 5 years minimal experience in similar positions
Success factors/competencies for this role
• Ability to learn and become competent in the software programs used in our food safety/quality programs for documentation, monitoring and implementation.
• Open to change, recommends actions for continuous improvement
• Thinks and acts strategically, understands how role contributes to larger outcome
• Provides exemplary customer service to both internal and external customers
• Sets high standards for oneself, meets deadlines
• Learns from mistakes, receptive to feedback
• Effective communicator, listens and respects others’ points of view
• Participates in team problem solving and decision making
• Maintains a positive attitude
• Community minded – gets involved, volunteers
Physical requirements/work environment
• Physical requirements
o Able to sit at a computer for long periods of time
o Able to walk, stand, climb, bend for periods of time
• Work environment
o Open Office
• Understand that safety is the responsibility of everyone at the organization
• Responsible for providing a safe and ergonomically sound work environment, identifying unsafe conditions and correcting these conditions immediately
• Engage in safety and compliance training programs and encourage 100% team participation in same
• Adhere to company-wide green norms, look for ways to reduce, reuse, recycle
• Educate oneself on King Arthur Baking environmental campaigns
• Strive to continually improve and implement new processes to reduce our environmental impact
• Provided white lab coat, hair and hand coverings as required.
• Comply with company dress and footwear codes.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.
There's room at our table for you! Apply today.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other factors prohibited by law. King Arthur Baking provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities to allow individuals to participate in both the application process and during employment. Such individuals are encouraged to seek accommodations to allow them to meet the functions and requirements of the position.
*Amounts vary based on achievement of financial targets. Participation based on hire date and program entry date.