The City of North Las Vegas announces a posting to create an eligibility list and to fill one (1) vacancy for the classification of City Maintenance Worker. The current vacancy is in the Public Works Department. The eligibility list will be utilized to fill the vacancy for this classification, for up to one hundred twenty (120) days.
NOTE TO CURRENT EMPLOYEES:
Pursuant to the Teamsters collective bargaining agreement, non-probationary employees successfully completing the qualification assessment process will be placed on an eligibility list to be used to fill vacancies in this classification for up to one hundred and twenty (120) days.
Please thoroughly review the information and selection process outlined on this announcement.
- Submit a complete application - For your application to be considered, you MUST fully complete an online application by providing sufficient information to demonstrate how you meet the minimum and any preferred qualifications, attach any documents as necessary, and answer ALL questions. Select “Apply for Job” at the top of this announcement and click “SUBMIT” at the end of your application (applying for a position does not guarantee an interview nor an offer of position)
- Pre-Employment Screening - Selected candidates for this position are subject to a Pre-employment screening. Pre-employment screening includes but is not limited to: Local & State Criminal History Check; Federal Criminal History Check via submission of fingerprints; Drug screening.
- Pay - The starting hourly pay for this position is $19.47 (step 1). All new employees hired for this position will start at step 1 of the range. Existing employees will receive increases as outlined by their bargaining agreement.
- Work Schedule - Schedule will be 4 days per week, 9 hours per day.
- Environment - Working mostly outdoors in an environment with exposure to all typical weather conditions, including travel from site to site, around high speed traffic, and indoors within various building facilities. Hazards include: exposure to sharp objects, moving objects, vehicles, dust, noise, vibration, grease, smoke, fumes, gases, uneven and slippery surfaces, cramped quarters, working at heights, biological waste, sewer hazards, toxic and caustic chemicals, inclement weather condition and electrical shock.
Performs unskilled and semi-skilled work in construction, maintenance of asphalt / concrete, parks, and related service activities; litter and homeless abatement.
The full job description can be found by clicking the link. City Maintenance Worker
Education and Experience
Licenses and Certifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- One year of progressively responsible experience performing general field maintenance work. Equivalency: May substitute a combination of equivalent education and experience. The city assesses 1 year of fulltime experience as equivalent to one year of education.
- G.E.D. may be substituted for high school diploma.
- Must possess a valid State of Nevada driver’s license at time of hire and maintain a satisfactory motor vehicle record for the duration of employment.
Must obtain and maintain a valid:
- Nevada Department of Transportation, Flagger Certification within 12 (twelve) months of appointment to position. Failure to obtain and maintain this certification will result in non-confirmation of appointment.
- IMSA or ATSSA Work Zone Safety Certification within 12 (twelve) months of appointment to position. Failure to obtain and maintain this certification will result in non-confirmation of appointment.
- Complete an OSHA-10 course in construction industry safety and health hazard recognition and prevention, developed by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration of the U.S. Department of Labor. Completion card must be continuously maintained while employed in this classification. Failure to complete and maintain the course within six (6) months of hire will result in non-confirmation of appointment.
Oral Board (Weight 100%, Passing Score 70%)
Note: Subsequent vacancies during the life of the eligibility list may require participation in an additional selection interview. The selection interview will be weighted 100%, requiring a passing score of 70% in order to be considered for the subsequent position vacancy.
BENEFITS AND PERKS
(Many of our positions offer the following)
- 4-day, 36-hour workweek, Monday-Thursday, 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. (May vary by position specific needs).
- 100% employer-paid Medical, Dental and Vision insurance plan option, with affordable low cost alternative plans available.
- 13 paid holidays off annually.
- 3 weeks of annual leave accrued each year (up to applicable maximums).
- 3 weeks of sick leave accrued each year (up to applicable maximums).
- Employer-paid participation in the Public Employees’ Retirement System of Nevada (PERS).
- Employer-paid Term Life and AD&D insurance for employees, plus dependent life insurance.
- Deferred compensation 457(b) Plan, which is a government deferred compensation plan similar to a 401(k) plan. It offers both pre-tax and after-tax savings and investment options.
- Annual merit increase program based on performance evaluations and/or contractual wage increases.
- Complimentary access to our fully equipped fitness center at City Hall.
This class specification may not be interpreted as all-inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this description. Any essential function or requirement of this class will be evaluated as necessary should an incumbent/applicant be unable to perform the function or requirement due to a disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Reasonable accommodations for the specific disability will be made for the incumbent/applicant as possible.
NV PERS Official Policy 11.6
- People Group: Teamster Non Supervisor
- Grade: TNE-12
- Minimum Salary: 19.47
- Maximum Salary: 30.67
- Pay Basis: HOURLY