|Job type||Part Time|
About Children's Minnesota
Children's Minnesota is one of the largest pediatric health systems in the United States and the only health system in Minnesota to provide care exclusively to children, from before birth through young adulthood. An independent and not-for-profit system since 1924, Children's Minnesota is one system serving kids throughout the Upper Midwest at two free-standing hospitals, nine primary care clinics, multiple specialty clinics and seven rehabilitation sites. As The Kids Experts™ in our region, Children's Minnesota is regularly ranked by U.S. News & World Report as a top children's hospital. Find us on Facebook @childrensminnesota or on Twitter and Instagram @childrensmn. Please visit childrensMN.org .
The Patient Access Specialist promotes positive patient and family experience as first impression of the hospital. The Patient Access Specialist is responsible for the efficient and orderly registration of patients at the time of services rendered. Obtains and documents accurate and complete patient demographic, financial information and required consents. Uses online, web based verification systems to ensure accuracy and to expedite payment. Refers patients/families as necessary to Financial Resources. The Patient Access Specialist also is responsible for communication with clinics and various ancillary services related to insurance coverage issues. Ensures compliance with local, state, federal, third party, EMTALA, and JCAHO regulations. Strives to minimize patient arrival to treatment area time, improving customer satisfaction as it relates to the registration process, waiting time and general communications.
Responsibilities include registration, preregistration, insurance verification and eligibility checks, identification of patient's financial obligation, collection of financial obligation, and referrals to financial counseling for financial assistance options. May also include obtaining initial authorization, and notifying payers of patient arrival. The Patient Access Specialist will serve as a resource for patients and provide excellent customer service in a professional manner. This position requires critical thinking skills, a strong work ethic and is essential for Children's to achieve identified financial benefits. Supports management and team members and performs all duties in a manner which promotes team concept and reflects the mission and vision of Children's Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota.
Position Details: .20 FTE, Day/Eve/Night, St. Paul Campus
* High school diploma or equivalent experience required.
* Post secondary education preferred.
* Medical Terminology certificate is preferred.
* 1-2 years previous registration experience preferred. Comparable experience in healthcare revenue cycle operations is acceptable (e.g.; scheduling, billing, call center, registration, financial counseling).
* Working knowledge of eligibility verification and prior authorizations for payment from various HMOs, PPOs, commercial payers and other funding sources preferred.
* Working knowledge of medical terminology preferred.
* Working knowledge of the revenue cycle preferred.
* Previous experience with cash collection preferred.
* Working knowledge of diagnostic, procedure, supplies and/or facility coding specific to area of authorization required by department/unit preferred.
* Previous experience working in a team environment.
Skills And Abilities Required:
* Communication - Excellent customer service skills, strong communication skills, excellent phone etiquette, ability to handle patient complaints to resolution following the 4 A's as outlined by Children's Service Standards.
* Computer - Window-based PC skills, keyboarding, 40 wpm (speed and accuracy), utilizing payer web pages, data entry ability.
* Organizational - Ability to organize/prioritize work and manage time effectively, ability to work from multiple
schedules, detail oriented; ability to multitask, excellent follow-through skills.
* Technical - Knowledge of hospital, regulatory and compliance policies and procedures preferred, knowledge and understanding of insurance payer requirements.
* Problem solving - Critical thinking skills, resourcefulness, self-motivated, detail oriented, continuous quality improvement/process improvement orientation
* Understands and upholds the basic philosophies of the revenue cycle, accounts receivable, and patient accounts.
Please click here to view the Physical Demands
All job offers are contingent upon successful completion of an occupational health assessment, drug screen, background investigation, and compliance with the U.S. Government Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification. Children's Minnesota requires proof of COVID-19 vaccine, and as recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), immunity to vaccine preventable infectious diseases, prior to employment.
Children's Minnesota is committed to providing Equal Employment Opportunities to all applicants. EO M/F/Disability/Vet Employer.